Today started off around 5:30 this morning as I quickly gathered things and headed to the hospital in order to be there for Emma's little procedure. Around 8 o'clock there still was no sign of the pediatric surgeon. At about 9 am the neonatalogist came in to tell me that himself, the radiologist, and the pediatric doc had all decided that putting a needle in her abdomen and trying to extract air was not the thing to do. They all agreed that Emma needed a Penrose drain put in. He continued to explain that this would be a little more invasive than the little procedure they had previously planned to do. This would require the surgeon to make an incision on each side of her belly and pull a tube from one side to the other. This would allow air, or whatever to evacuate her body by seeping out the sides of the tube. The tube will be left in for weeks or until she is tolerating feedings, but those won't start for awhile. Around 5:30 they finally got the procedure done. Dr. Shropp told me that there was a great deal of air and pus that made it's way out. They will do cultures to make sure they are treating this infection with the right meds, and they will continue to keep a close eye on this. The cause of this is still unknown, but there are many ideas swirling around. We'll just have to wait and see. Did I mention that Patrick (unfortunately) had to fly to D.C. yesterday?? It just about broke his heart to leave.
Hope you all are able to understand this all. I'm exhausted and my thoughts don't seem all that organized.
Just stop...
10 years ago
8 comments:
Glad to hear that Emma's procedure went well and you continue to shock and amaze me with your strength. I am sure that Pat was upset that he couldn't be there for you and the girls but i am sure that you felt his love all around you. I continue to pray for you and the girls.
Jamie
I am so sorry to hear that Emma is going thru so much..I know she is such a little thing but it doesn't make it any easier for her and most especially for you and Pat. Know that I am praying and have our prayer group here at the 'house' including you all too. Keep up your courage...there are a lot of Mieses and Nolans up there praying hard and they were pretty powerful on earth and I'm sure they still are...Fondly, Cousin Vonnie
Jana thanks for keeping us informed. The first thing I do in the mornings is to check on the girls. As always, all of you are in our thoughts and prayers. Bill Crutcher
I'm glad to hear that Emma's procedure went well, the poor little girl. I know it must be so hard to see her all poked and prodded, but it sounds like she is in good hands. I continue to check in here and there and to pray for your girls.
Hi! Jana My name is Louise Salas, we have never met, however we have a mutual friend, I call her Mrs. Smith( Kim) The assistant Principal at West Foundation school in Wichita Falls,TX. She told me your story, I believe because she knows what I have been through. Well I have been where you are at 3 times all my children were preemies,1st 1979 2lbs 1oz 2nd 1994 2 lbs 3 oz then my baby girl Marisa 1999 14 oz yes less than 1
lb I know your girls will just fine.Just keep the FAITH....All healthy. My oldest Candice had my 1st grandchild Karlie 2yrs old 8 lbs 5oz
not bad for a 2 lb mom. GOD is great.. Your family are in my prayers forever. I'll write again soon. Louise
Sorry I have not been around much. I am always thinking of you, pat and the girls. Keep believing!
I bet it was hard for Pat to leave. I know this procedure will help Emma's pocket of air zip on out of there! I read your blog ten times a day and think of you guys all the time! Love you!
Dear Patrick and Jana,
John and I are long time(sounds better than old) friends of Bill and Elaine. We loved watching Pat play football back at Consol. I want you to know that you are all in our daily prayers and we are proud of you for being strong for each other and your dear little girls.
I have an Aunt who is a major league prayer warrior. She has passed on the girls story to her church family that circles the globe. We are all praying for God's guidance to your medical team, we are praying for you as parents and as a couple.
We have a nephew that checked into this world at not quite a pound, with multiple issues. God and his Drs. did miracles-he is now ten years old, strong and handsome and capable. Miracles do happen.
Glad to view your posting and be able to keep up
with what is going on. patsy and john edwards
Post a Comment