Sunday, April 5, 2009

Nothing Taken For Granted




Patrick and I went to the hospital tonight to say good night to the girls, and as we walked in, the nurse said, "Hey Mom. Do you want to change a diaper?" That's right. I got to change Abby's poopy diaper tonight. I know for some that probably is something you've never looked forward to doing, but for us it was such a marvelous occasion. It's very hard to feel like a parent when you can't hug your baby, or kiss them, or are rarely able to touch them. That's why being able to do such a menial job is so rewarding for us. It let's us bond and feel more like a parent. We have been humbled by this experience, and we appreciate every little aspect, no matter how small, of parenthood.

5 comments:

Marsha Meacham said...

I'll bet that was the sweetest poop in the world. I am so excited for you (all four of you)!

The Bradford's said...

That is awesome!!! I am so glad you got to have that opportunity last night!!! God is awesome!!!

Anonymous said...

I remember changing my grandson's diaper in the NICU the first time. What a blessing. I'm in Texas praying for you and your family. May there be many more poops.

Ginger Wilson said...

They used to bronze shoes....I can just imagine the look on someone's face if you wanted to bronze the first poo!

The milestones you are reaching every single day makes me so incredibly happy for you guys! They will keep coming!

May the coming days be filled with more and more poo! :)

Kristen and Kiko said...

I remember that first diaper change!! I was PETRIFIED because of all the cords and wires everywhere! And those preemie diapers are TOO TINY!!! Congratulations on that first step and may many more poopy diapers come your way!! Hugs!!