Saturday, May 7, 2011

Happy Mother's Day





This will be the third Mother's Day for Jana and what a ride it has been in three years. I think sometimes we overlook things that are in our every day lives. I know that I for one took my mom for granted until I understood how lucky I was to be her son. My mother gave me a wonderful upbringing in a house that was filled with love and support. It was a lot of long days and I'm sure long nights (as I am finding out) and yet my mother has never asked for anything in return. When I go to work and do my job, I do it with the expectation that I am going to get something in return such as wages for my time and energy.

Mother's do the job of raising their children without ever asking for a reward. This goes doubly for my wife.

It's amazing to watch Jana with Abby and Emma. It is difficult trying to get one child to pay attention to something for very long, but when you add in the mix another child at the same age "helping" all the time it is nearly impossible. I pick up Abby and set her in my lap and start to read a book to her and Emma is quick to get in between myself and Abby and the book, which leads to pushing, etc. Jana takes all of this in stride, day in and day out. Most of the time spending all day inside our house in our living room and kitchen. It is very difficult to take two 2 year old's out to eat lunch, go shopping, or anywhere that they want to walk around. As you can imagine, when Abby goes North, Emma usually heads South and without help it is a near impossible task to get them out of the house. It is obvious to me how much love and affection Jana has for our girls, constantly working for free, without any days off or paid vacation. A job that lasts from the time the girls wake up at 7 until the girls go to be at night. I've had the opportunity to take care of the girls by myself for 6 or 7 hours straight on the weekend and by the 6th hour, I'm on the phone wondering when Jana is going to make it back to the house. When I travel, Jana has no help for up to 6 days straight. She is truly a wonderful woman and I am lucky to have the privilege of being her husband.

Thanks to all the moms out there that give their all to their families day in and day out....Happy Mother's Day!

3 comments:

Tara said...

Pat, very nicely said! Happy Mother's Day Jana!!

Audrey said...

Great post!!! You're a very blessed family to have one another.I think you're all really special.

Anonymous said...

I was just looking to see if there are any pictures lately and was so pleased to see your blog, Pat. What a nice tribute to Jana and a real credit to your mom too. It makes me very proud to share the Mies name...all of the second and third generation and even tho the fourth are to young to sit thru the family reunions and listen to the past history, all of our grandparents AND great gp's would also be very proud. Being the oldest of second bunch, I can say that with no doubt at all.
The girls are precious and don't fret you WILL survive the "terrible twos and threes".
Good luck to you all...Vonnie