Thursday, April 2, 2009

An awakening

I went up to the hospital last night and found out something amazing. Emma opened her eyes! Preemies will typically open their eyes somewhere between 24 to 26 weeks. I couldn't see eye color or all of the eye, she was squinting, but it was an awesome sight for me, and probably a pretty scary one for her. I could imagine being in an aquarium hooked up to every modern micro medical device known to man and then open your eyes to your dad staring at you with a huge grin on his face.

When this happens, it can lead to infections, so they have put an erythromycin salve on her eyes to prevent that from happening.

Abigail is our little piggy and is consuming all of her momma's milk. When lil' Abby was born she weighed a staggering 490 grams. She looks to have bottomed out at 430 grams and weighed in at 440 grams last night. That's great news to hear she's gaining weight. It's typical for preemies to lose weight after delivery for a while because they are getting rid of all of the fluid in the system.

Emma has gained weight since birth and they believe that is from fluids built up from infection, etc. Emma's weighing 580 grams and they'd like to see her lose some of that weight. She is still not able to eat yet, but we are hoping that things will turn around for her. Her blood gases have been good lately and they have weaned her down on the oscillator.

It seems like something new is happening every day and we'll keep you in the loop when it does.....

"I have learned to live each day as it comes, and not to borrow trouble by dreading tomorrow. It is the dark menace of the future that makes cowards of us". - Dorothy Dix

8 comments:

Deb ;) said...

Great news! God is good.

Liza said...

wow! i am so amazed with those little girls and so proud of them!

Marsha Meacham said...

Emma knew that Abby had held your finger, she wanted you to know that she is working hard, too. I am so glad they are protecting her delicate eyes.

Keep up the hard work girls!!!

Unknown said...

You have got some amazing children! As always all of you continue to be in our hearts, thoughts and prayers. Emery and I also wanted to hear if you found anything out about donating blood for the girls. Do they still need blood, and can we help? You can reach us on my cell.

Sanchez Stories said...

Very good news, and you are teaching us as well to value our one day at a time too....
Prayers for your family as always.
Dre

Anonymous said...

I am always thinking about you, Pat, and the girls. I will be away but please know I will continue to pray for all of you.

Ginger Wilson said...

It's official...I love these two girls and haven't met them yet! Please save all of your blogging for them. When they get older, it will mean a lot to them.

I will be making a trip to Kansas in the future!

Unknown said...

Dear Jana, Pat and baby twins,

Still praying everyday for you!

Hugs and kisses!