Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Phone Call at 3 am

The ringing of the telephone in the middle of the night is a terrifying event for me. When I was about 19, I awoke to the phone ringing in the early morning hours to hear my hysterical grandmother on the other end terrified that my grandfather was having another heart attack. He died later that morning, and the intense fear of that conversation has stayed with me.

This morning's phone call was no different. When I heard the phone ring at 3:30 this morning, I was sick to my stomach, because I knew the news couldn't be good. I reached for the phone and gave it to Pat. The NICU was calling to let us know that Abby's potassium was over 9 (should be under 6) and her heart rate had gotten really low. The problem with a high potassium level is that potassium stops the heart. They had to give her sodium bicarbonate to get her heart rate back up. We had been told that this medicine was by the bedside in case of an emergency. They were able to get her heart rate stable again, and I believe her potassium is down, but they can't seem to find a reason for the yoyo-ing.

Today the girls are 26 wks gestational. Thank you God for another week with our little ones. We adore and admire their strength and will.

2 comments:

Deb ;) said...

I talk to God many times during the day on behalf of both you and your sweet angels. I can only imagine how difficult each day is for you, but know that there are people praying daily for your family. God does not give big problems to small people.

Kristen and Kiko said...

Why do they always call at 3 am?!?! I think all my calls from the NICU were at 3 am. I hate those calls. I'm there with you sweetheart and sending many long distance, TEXAS sized hugs! It will be an up and down roller coaster and you will have good days and bad days for a while...but they are being surrounded in a prayer cocoon. Kristen