Thursday, October 29, 2009

Graduated from the Retina Specialist

Two weeks ago Abby graduated from the eye doctor, and yesterday, Emma did as well. We can't even begin to tell you what a relief it is to know that the girls are over another hurdle in their short lives. We struggled with the decision whether to do laser or the Avastin injection. The injections sounded so promising, but the treatment was fairly new, and we were worried about repercussions in the future. At this point we believe we made the right decisions. We truly have meet some miracle workers, and Dr. Warren is definitely one of them. Without him I'm not sure our girls would have sight. We are blessed to have had him on our team.

I have to correct something I stated in an earlier post. I think it must have been a little misleading when I said the girls are turning over. While the girls are turning over on occasion, it's usually because they have their legs in high gear not because they have strength in their upper body. They are holding their heads up, and we are working on building strength for sitting up. They both are kicking, batting, and grasping at objects. While Abby is releasing objects, Emma is still trying to figure that concept out. They especially love to grab mommy's hair and necklace. Abby is smiling more and more everyday, and Emma is beginning to. They believe that they are a little slower in this area because of their eyes. We've been told that babies have to record many different expressions and faces in order to organize themselves to smile. We love listening to them coo and talk to us. They are the sweetest sounds.

Since Patrick is out-of-town and hasn't been able to see the girls, we Skyped last night. The girls were very attentive. I think they loved watching him move around and listen to his voice. The girls were wearing their glow in the dark onesies that Aunt Traci bought them, and Patrick was quite amused at the glowing skeleton on their shirts. They went to bed in these, and it was quite humorous to walk in to their room at 3 this morning and see their outfits glowing. Must say that not much is funny at 3 in the morning, but this was.

Everyone stay healthy!!

1 comment:

Jessica S. said...

YAY for another graduation! What a relief. We also saw Dr. Warren today, still on the routine every 2 weeks exam schedule, which we are thankful for. I laughed when I read about the girls grabbing your hair; Cooper is of course not quite there yet but I put some of my hair in his hand the other day and he did squeeze it. You will understand when I say that I look forward to him pulling at my hair! Glad to hear you are all doing well. You remain a source of inspiration for our family.