Thursday, December 3, 2009

The Police Were Here Yesterday!!

Yesterday had to be one of the strangest days we've had in a long time. I heard Bella (the dog) barking so I went to see what her problem was. She was running around acting crazy. Since we back up to woods I tried to see if I could see anything out there. As I scanned the area I noticed something,but wasn't sure what it was. I went inside put my coat and shoes on and headed out to make sure it was nothing. As I approached I noticed that is was a deer. It was lying on it's side, and as I approached it didn't move. I threw a rock in it's direction and it barely lifted it's head. I got a little closer all the while thinking if this deer jumps up and comes after me I am going to be in big trouble. I was probably about 6 feet away at this time, and I could see that it was breathing, but it was very shallow. My expert opinion was that something was wrong with this deer. I'm pretty with it, huh?!?! I head back to the house and called the neighbors. One came over to see what she thought, and we decided to call animal control. Within about 10 minutes the man from animal control showed up. I went out back to show him where the deer was, and I have to say he was a really nice guy. He got up close with the deer and determined that there was definitely something wrong, but there were no visible signs. He pushed on the poor deer, and it didn't even attempt to move. I asked him if there was anything they could do, and he explained to me that deer have a primitive nervous system and don't survive surgery or treatments so they have to put the animal down. WHAT....in my backyard???? He called the police, and they showed up to put the poor creature out of it's obvious misery. As the cop walked down to where we were standing, I quickly turned around and said "I'll be inside." One gun shot, minutes later, gunshot number 2. How awful?!?!? It was certainly a day I hope to never repeat. As bad as felt for the animal being put down, I do feel that it was the most humane thing to do. It definitely didn't need to suffer any longer.

4 comments:

Sanchez Stories said...

Well now that's a different story, you expect to hear about babies, and now deers! Sorry you had to go through that.....

BIG HUGS!
Dre

Anonymous said...

I just caught up on the latest pictures and how darling those girls are. I know they are identical but I see some differences...it's good tho, I think. Then the teachers will be able to tell them apart!!!But I have a question..just how old do you figure they are? I would assume eight months and go from there..is that the way? Whatever, they sure are cuties.
I fully expected you to say that the deer was delivering as well..but at any rate, it did add something different to your usual daily routine! And now Christmas, I am sure Santa will be busy..do you get to buy the first dolls or are the Grandmas doing that? Enjoy. Fondly, Vonnie

Anonymous said...

Did you save the meat. Bill C.

Sue said...

I just stopped by to check in since its been a while. Sorry to hear about the deer. The poor thing. I wonder what happened? But, I wanted to say I read a few posts back and saw how beautiful and big your girls are. Your story is one I sometimes tell people to give them strength when it looks like they are struggling with keeping a pregnancy or had too many implant, etc. You guys are really amazing! Hugs!