We found out yesterday that preemies can have different categories of brain bleeds. Category 1 is a small spot in one of the lobes of the brain. A category 2 is a larger amount of blood in the brain. A category 3 is an amount of bleeding that fills the lobe cavity. Category 4 means that there is so much bleeding in the vesicles of the brain that blood is leaking out of the brain. Abigail has a cat 2 bleed in each lobe, which the doctors are not too worried about because it is very common for these to happen in preemies.
Emma has a cat 4 brain bleed in one of her lobes and they have given her platelets to try to get the blood to coagulate and stop the bleeding. They have taken another head ultrasound of both of our little ones today to see if they have stayed the same or gotten worse. We won't know the results until late tomorrow morning.
There are several long term effects that can happen from these brain bleeds, cerebral palsy, mental retardation, etc. However, some babies have these bleeds and come out without a scratch.
We also found out today that Abigail has been taken off the oscillator respiratory unit to a regular respiratory unit that uses the same type of help an adult would use if they were entobated. This is very good news and great progress for Abigail. They did mention that babies can of course go back and forth from oscillators to regular respiration.
I have become fascinated with the entire lactation process. I never realized that there was actually a job out there entitled "lactation consultant". I obviously went to school in the wrong field.
Jana has begun the process and I am benchmarking her progress in terms of volume, viscosity, and color. Colostrum is a very white color and kind of thin, and now the milk is becoming more yellow. We are filling 1, 3, 5, and 10 ml syringes because the girls will be put on milk sometime later this week hopefully and they will only be given 1ml every 12 hours. I think after three days of Jana's lactation production, the girls will be set for a month and half.
On another note, I made arrangements today for Reagan to be cremated at a local funeral home. When I went to the funeral home I had to sign a release form for the funeral home to get Reagan from the hospital. That was the first time I have ever filled out a form where I had to answer the question "Relationship to the deceased" and write in "Father". I hope I never have to fill out another form like that again.
We are living day to day and getting back into the swing of things at the house. Jana is getting more and more mobile around the house and is doing better.
We will update on the girls as we find out more.
Just stop...
10 years ago
12 comments:
I'm so glad that you updated Pat, I find myself constantly checking on your precious girls. IVH bleeds are very common in preemies and we'll continue to pray that they start resolving and don't cause any long term damage.
We too check constantly and we are glad to get an update. We continue to pray for the girls and for the two of you. We love you!!!
I can't begin to tell you how very proud I am of you. Your strength over the last couple of weeks is beyond admirable. I know this has been the toughest road you have yet to travel, but you have the strength, determination and faith to get you through this. And remember that you have the love and support of so many around you . . . ready to extend help in whatever form you may need.
I am so grateful that I was there to share this time with you and Pat.
Reagan . . . absolutley precious and I'm so thankful that I was given that moment with her. She will always hold a special place in my heart.
Abigail and Emma . . .such strong girls. You can just sense their determination, their fight. I have no doubt that Bailey and Kelsey will get to teach them all about the game of soccer in no time at all!
I love you with all my heart and continue to keep you, Pat and the girls in my every thought and prayers.
i check on you guys daily too! we cont. to pray for you and pat and your lil girls xxoo
I can only ditto Traci's comments. You two are a true inspiration for all parents! I hope you feel the arms of those surrounding you both physically and spiritually. There are many out there praying for the entire family - some you know, many others you don't. Gotta love the prayer warrior community! May each one of you feel it as you continue your journey. Remember you are not alone.
Erik and Angela Berry
So glad you updated. I keep checking in here hoping for some news. I hope you guys get some good news on the girls' bleeding tomorrow. Stay strong Pat and Jana. Keep fighting Abigail and Emma...you've got a whole lot of people pulling for you.
Jana and Pat,
I just learned of your blog and have spent the last 30 minutes catching up and trying to hold back the tears. I am so proud of you both, and, Jana, you are simply amazing.
I pray for Abigail and Emma, that they may grow and heal. I pray for the doctors, nurses, and other staff members, that God will guide them in the care of your sweet girls. And I pray for the new Mommy and Daddy, that God will grant them strength and patience in the days ahead.
Much love,
Jenny Phillips Schroeder
I am always checking your blog and continue to pray for you both and the girls. Sending you lots of love and strenght.
Pat,
My dad passed on your blog to me yesterday. You are one of my dad's grad students that I ask about every once in a while to find out what you are up to. I knew that you were expecting, and have thought about you and your family. As I have read your blog, I have found myself tearing up and pulling for you and your family. I will continue to check in to see how the girls are doing. Please know that you and your family are in my prayers. I know that the girls have wonderful spirits based on what you have written about Jana, and the determination that you have always had. I will never forget that summer that we were in high school and worked up in the lab. The grad students would have you bundle up to go in the freezer to find the one missing steak in the stacks and stacks of boxes. You would always come out with it in record time! You would not come out of the freezer without fulfilling your mission.
Thinking of you,
Jennifer Savell Larriviere
I'm so glad that you updated, i check in on a regular basis to see how your beautiful little girls are doing. Your girls and your family continue to be in my prayers. With such strong parents, i am sure that they have the fight in them that they need. Continue to hold onto your faith and strength in one another.
I'm so glad that you updated, i check in on a regular basis to see how your beautiful little girls are doing. Your girls and your family continue to be in my prayers. With such strong parents, i am sure that they have the fight in them that they need. Continue to hold onto your faith and strength in one another.
I've been finding myself looking for updates too - so thank you for updating! I continue to keep your family in my thoughts and prayers! There are so many of us pulling for you two and the girls!!
Post a Comment