Life here in the NICU is finally catching up with me. I don't think I am articulate enough to put into words how draining the days are. I was chatting with another mom up there today, and it was nice to know I'm not alone in the fatigue department. When I was pregnant people were always telling me that when the babies napped, I should nap. That's not the way it works in the NICU. There is always something going on in the room. The nurse assesses Abby every 3 hours and Emma every 4. When they examine Abby I get to change the diaper and take the temp. Most times I stand at the bedside while they do the assessment so I know what's going on. When their done with Abby, it's Emma's turn. Since Emma isn't eating, she's become fussy and irritable when they manipulate her drains. Sometimes it takes about 30 minutes of holding her pacifier in to get her to drift off to sleep. It seems just as I get her comfortable the nurse practitioner or the neonatalogist comes in to do their assessment, and we are back to square one. After the assessments the docs spend time updating me on the new orders and explaining new steps that are being taken. By this time it's pumping time so I have to sterilize everything, find a pump, and pump. By the time I'm done it's time to start all over with the assessments. Believe me when I say I'm not complaining, I love spending the day with the girls. I just realized today how tired I am.
The girls are still doing great. They work hard everyday to keep improving, and I am still just amazed by them. Today Emma had moved all over the isolette. She looked as though she was trying to escape. Abby had scooted herself to the end of her isolette. I can't believe how mobile they have become. Tomorrow they will be 9 weeks old. It's unbelievable how far they've come.
Just stop...
10 years ago
4 comments:
Jana,
This is Sheila Gragg. I don't know if you remember me or not. I used to work with your sister at Burgess Ele. I've been reading your blog ever since Traci emailed it to me and I almost never finish without shedding a tear or two. I'm praying for your little angels and you and Pat every day. Hang in there! You're both fantastic parents and those little girls are lucky to have you.
Wow....Nine weeks old! I'm so happy they are progressing so much!
I cannot imagine how exhausted you must be, I know the days are filled with so much to do. Take care of yourself and try to find sometime to rest! Wish I was there to help you out!
Love ya!
First off, I am so happy that the girls are becoming more active and it won't be any time (Yes, I know it feels like forever to you) and they will be showing even more independence. Just know that you have been so faithful and caring all this time.
I'm sorry that you are getting so tired and I don't doubt for a minute that you are beginning to be overwhelmed..it is sad that you don't have someone close at hand to take over for a day or two. I wish I was able and not wheel chair bound because I surely would. But this too will pass..you've made it this far and now it will be downhill from now on. But by all means, don't ever be afraid to admit that you are just plain worn out and take a day or two off..I am sure the medical staff can take good care of the girls if you do. I remember when I had my children, my doctor encouraged me to "rest and let the nurses do the work...you will have lots of time to care for them after you get home" and you know he was so right! Prayer is wonderful but sometimes a good cry can make all the difference in the world...
Again, it is so good to hear how strong those little princesses are getting. Fondly, Vonnie
>> When I was pregnant people were always telling me that when the babies napped, I should nap. That's not the way it works in the NICU.
Hate to tell you, but that's not how it works outside the NICU, either. "Sleep while the babies sleep" is right up there with "Just relax and it will happen" on the list of Well-Meaning But Useless Advice. I'd go with, "If you ever get a chance to sleep, do it before the opportunity is gone."
I wrote on this topic recently: http://thefinitemonkey.com/2009/05/things-to-do-while-the-babies-sleep/
Post a Comment