Just when you think nothing else bad can happen, you learn those are the stupidest thoughts you can have. As if Emma hasn't been through enough already, it seems she is battling an infection that may postpone her surgery. We noticed that on Friday she spent most of the day asleep, but we chalked it up to her busy Thursday. The night nurse on Friday mentioned to the Neo that she just didn't think Emma was acting right. When I arrived Saturday morning Nurse J and I both agreed that her behavior was off. Typically when Emma is messed with she is pretty loud, but this wasn't the case. They decided to do some blood work, and when they stuck Emma for the blood she let out a soft cry and was back to sleep. The blood work showed an elevated white blood count but she wasn't shifted. The CRP they did was elevated, and this is where the concern came in. The CRP shows that there is inflammation somewhere in the body. They did a blood culture, and it came back positive today. They had already started her on antibiotics so we'll see tomorrow if they have her on the right ones. Tomorrow they will also do a culture on her PICC line. If this shows up positive they will have to pull the PICC line. We are really hoping to keep this in for surgery. If they can't use it anymore they will have to put in IVs which don't have a long life like the PICC. She could surely use any extra prayers anyone has.
As for Abby she is getting through the check list for home. She had her hearing test but only one ear passed. The NEOs don't put a whole lot of stock in these test. They will retest her, and if she doesn't pass they will just refer to an audiologist. She has her MRI tomorrow which will give us a better idea of how her head bleeds have effected her. Later this week she will have the car seat test. She has to be able to sit in the car seat for an hour without any issues. Abby is having a bit of an issue gaining weight. They would like to see her gain more than 20g a day so they have put her on 24 cal milk. She will be home soon.
Have you ever thought about the words "It could be worse?" We've heard those words said many times, and I know they were said out of caring. I know that I have said these very same words, and now I realize that the comfort I was trying to give was not achieved by them. Think back when someone said them to you. Did they bring you comfort? Would those words make you feel better if you had just had your leg cut off and someone said it could be worse!! How about if your wife had just died...it could be worse!! Or better yet what if your child had died and someone told you it could be worse. For us every time we look into the eyes of our girls we realize it could be worse. We are grateful for the many blessings we have been given, but that doesn't take away the pain or lose of another shoe that has dropped.
"It's not whether you get knocked down; it's whether you get up."
~ Vince Lombardi
Just stop...
10 years ago
5 comments:
I love it ~ the "It could be worse" comment, soooooooo true,
another prayer sent to Ms. Emma. I will pray now that Abby eats better and better and can go home with mommy and daddy, I can't wait for that post!
Big hugs, and again thanks for your support in your busy time....
Dre
I am right there with you...who cares if it could be worse or not...I wish those people who say that could just say "THAT SUCKS" because it DOES!!! Let this all be over with for you all already! We love you and are here if you need anything at all!!!
The Arens :)
Oh so true--I guess--BUT at the time, it couldn't be worse. It is about as awful as anyone can imagine and then add another 100% to it. I am so sorry..things do just keep coming and coming. It is like "God doesn't send you more than you can handle"..Really?? That isn't much help to hear either at the moment.is it? Altho I am very concerned about both girls, I am equally concerned about both of you..I pray that you are both strong enough to get thru all this..some young people would have cracked weeks ago. I guess you will have to continue with baby steps in their progress. Thinking about you so much. Fondly, Vonnie
Praying for all four of you as I write. This surely is a trying time for all of you. Continue to be strong. I can only begin to imagine how hard this must be for you. I just wanted to tell you that I continue to pray for each of you throughout the day AND night.
Your Heritage family continues to pray for you all. Hang in there and know that we're behind you through everything.
Post a Comment