Friday, July 10, 2009

What's Next? How much More?

Think of the cuss word that you would yell out if you stubbed your toe in the middle of the night. I wanted to scream my word out all day yesterday.

We found out that both Emma and Abigail have Stage III Retinopathy of Prematurity and were passed a threshold needed for an intervention. We knew that they may have to do laser surgery on their eyes to kill some of the retina tissue so that the rest of the retina would not detach and then they could go blind. With the laser surgery there are some negative side effects such as a decrease in peripheral and night vision. We were praying that this procedure would not have to be done, but alas we found out that their eyes had gotten worse. Abnormal blood vessels are growing in their eyes trying to meet the need for oxygen for them to develop. These abnormal vessels can bleed out and scar and cause the retina to detach.

Luckily, again, we are at a NICU with the finest doctors and surgeons. Our eye doc told us about a new method to stop this abnormal blood vessel growth through a medication called Avastin. Avastin was originally created as a cancer fighting drug. Opthomologists decided to try it in patients that have macular degeneration. It worked wonderfully and now they are trying it on preemies with ROP so that they don't have to destroy parts of the retina with laser surgery. After much research and consternation, Jana and I decided to go ahead with the medication which would be injected into each of their eyes.

I need to describe eye exams to those who have not had that experience in the NICU. Our NICU's policy has changed over the last couple of years to not allow parents in the room while they are giving the eye exam or performing any eye procedure. The reason for this is due to the guttural crying that occurs when the doctors are using retractors to hold the eyes open. As parents you can differentiate crying between a hungry cry, a wet diaper cry, a small cut, etc. This is the cry of a child that is in constant pain. It is so gut wrenching that some nurses in the NICU will not work on the day that eye exams are given. Jana had to wait in the parents room while the procedure was taking place, while I would hold one of the twins that wasn't being examined or operated on. Jana had to turn up the TV in the parents room because she could hear the screaming through the walls.

All of this is needed to try to keep our girls from going blind. They are still suppossed to be in the womb and it is the last 14 weeks or so that their eyes really develop. Our girls have had to do that with everything else going on outside in cribs. The procedure went well and the doctor will check in on them in 10 days and he expects to see a decrease in abnormal blood vessels which we are praying for.

Emma is losing weight. She's lost two ounces in two days. Her blood pH is low and she has entered a metabolic acidosis state. They are going to take her off of feeds and just give her TPN from now until after her surgery on Tuesday to put her back together. They did a baristula which is putting barium into her fistula yesterday and taking x rays to see how the barium traveled down her large intestine and out of her colon. Everything actually looked good with that test.

When is the last straw? Our girls evidently have an entire hay barn full of straw. It's one thing after another and we wait for the next shoe to drop. We might as well be in Imelda Marcos's closet for all the shoes that continue to drop. We are afraid to celebrate anything. We found out that Abigail will have her MRI on Monday which is something they do right before they discharge babies from the NICU. She's also lying on a flat bed now instead of slightly angled. We're afraid to think good thoughts about her going home because we know something else is going to come up. You would think that we would become numb to bad news, but it continues to hit us over the head and punch us in the gut.

We hope for the best and wait for the worst.

11 comments:

Kristen and Kiko said...

Pat and Jana - What a roller coaster! I'm so sorry that the girls have ROP, it does seem like one thing after another doesn't it?? It sounds like this new medication is very promising though and I will continue to pray that it works miracles! Your two little girls and how far they have come already are truly miracles so we know that they can and DO happen!! Hang in there, oh and if you need to scream out a bunch of cusswords, you can vent to me anytime!!! :)
Kristen

Jill said...

Pat and Jana - pleas know that we are praying for sweet Emma and Abigail and hope that these past few days have just been some difficult speed bumps on the road to recovery and healthy babies. We are praying for both of you as well.

Jeremiah 29:11

Anonymous said...

Pat and Jana,
I can hear the pain and frustration in your voice after this last battle. You have got to hold on for those babies. All of us here are praying to give you strength to see this through. Those girls are fighters and with the stubborness the two of you undoubtedly gifted them with, you have to believe they will get through this. The pain of listening to your child suffer and being helpless to do anything-it rips at you. But I also hear in your voices the joys you have seen every day whether it is a burp at the right time, a poopie diaper after surgery, or a finger squeeze through the porthole. Those are the times you have to hold on to and let them wipe away the other painful times. I can only tell you that we, your family, are here for the four of you, come what may and we will get thought it together. We love you, Jana, Abigail, and Emma, so much. Our hearts and prayers are thinking of you every day.
Love, JT, Betsy, Nolan, Matthew, and Lily.

Marsha Meacham said...

I pray the sound of laughter and giggles soon replace the sounds you had to recently hear. Continuing to pray for you all.

The Bradford's said...

!*#@, that is the curse word Todd said he would be saying!!! We know this road is tiresome and draining, however, we can't imagine how tired you all are. We are so pleased with how well the girls are doing and how beautiful they are but we continue to lift you all up in prayer. It won't be long until this emotional roller coaster will come to an end and seem so long ago. You will be laughing and smiling at what the girls are suddenly doing. We love you all. Know that if there is absolutely anything, anything at all that you need we are here for you!!! All our love, The Bradford's

Anonymous said...

Oh I can't begin to put into words the feelings I have..Pat, I have to assure you---let those cuse words out and scream at the top of your lungs..keeping all that frustration inside is not going to help--let it out where ever you are and whenever you want..I am sure noone will ever blame you. Jana..I am so sorry..you both must be so strong and brave to be able to weather all the ups and downs..those poor darlings are blessed to have you both as their parents. This is a very hard test of your faith but I think God knows we are all asking for his help for all four of you. Things will be better soon. Fondly, Vonnie

Sanchez Stories said...

Oh Jana and Pat,
I am so sorry that you keep getting this kind of news, despite all the thoughts and prayers. All I know is that you hold on to your faith and take one day at a time. That's all any of us can do. I am thankful that you get to hold your little ones even if I wish it were more often.
Hugs.
Dre
Jana, I know you are super busy, but read my last 2 posts if you get a chance.

Ginger Wilson said...

Pat and Jana,
I cannot begin to imagine what it is like to have such emotional highs and lows all the time. I pray for the both of you and the girls and know the Lord is holding the four of you close. You and Jana have such strength, faith and love. I know those things are what is getting you through the emotional lows. I'll continue to pray the Lord pours blessings on the girls. I know they both will be home soon.

Love you guys!

Anonymous said...

I hope everyone of your family (all 4) had a restful night and sweet dreams about your future. I am sure you are still upset and should be but try and think positive...they say attitude is half the battle and I truly believe that. Don't forget what I said, even tho I spelled it wrong, Pat. Let those cusses out whenever you feel like it..God will understand, I am sure!! In the meantime, I'll add a few of my own! Try and rest this weekend.
Fondly, Vonnie

Anonymous said...

Go ahead and scream all you want. You need to releash some tension!!I can't begin to imagine the stress you two are under. Just always remember that your are being lifted up in prayer by many--even those, like me, who have never met you. Thank you for keeping us updated.

Anonymous said...

Good morning..Again I hope you had a restful night but I can only imagine the strain you must be going thru. I am praying the news is getting better and more hopeful each day. Have been wondering if your parents have been here to give you some moral support. Those babies are little fighters and I know they feel the love you both have for them..but your love for each other is SO IMPORTANT TOO..keep faith. And by all means, if you feel like crying, DO..loud and clear. Crying shows strength just as much as holding it all inside and is a great stress remover. Thinking of you so much. Fondly, Vonnie