Monday, March 1, 2010

First Church Service

Sunday we finally took the girls to church. For most parents taking their children to church for the first time probably isn't a very emotional experience, but for us it was. This was the very first time we had taken the girls anywhere in public other than a doctor appointment. Pat and I both found ourselves overcome with many feelings. There was a feeling of pride because we were finally able to introduce our girls to so many people who had prayed for them and supported us throughout this past year. While we were thrilled to show the girls off, we were also very nervous about the girls getting sick from being introduced to someone who might be harboring some sort of unknown cold. Silly I'm sure, but nevertheless we were full of anxiety. Thank goodness John was there to hold the sanitizer and make sure that no one touched the babies without first a pump of hand sanitizer from him. The biggest emotion I think we both felt was just this unbelievable heaviness lift from our shoulders as we entered the church. I think the heavy weight on our shoulders was the worry, fear, and unknown we'd been living with this past year. I believe that going to church made us realize that we had made it. The sacrifices we had made this past year to live in "seclusion" had been so worth it.

When we entered the doors to the church Melissa, who is staff at the church and a dear friend, spotted us and came right over. Funny part of this is that she interrupted the announcements at the beginning of the service to let everyone know that the Mies girls were at church for the first time. This of course caused all eyes to turn toward us, and the applauds were overwhelming. The girls debut at church had been something many had been waiting for.

Here are a couple of pictures of the girls playing. I was in the kitchen and walked into see Abby trying to eat Emma's face and hand. The last picture is over her getting caught! I thought the pictures were too funny.




6 comments:

Sanchez Stories said...

so cute~ holding a baby, so I can't type much~ can't wait to go back to church 2! time to feed!

Tara said...

The pictures are too cute! Congratulations on your first public outing and no other place more perfect and suiting than church!

Anonymous said...

So good to see your latest post and hear the good news that you are able to get the girls out. Now that spring should be here soon, I am sure they will be the STARS wherever you go with them. It makes me laugh when I see the bald head...there is no denying that they are Mies babies...I was completely bald until I was three!! but I do think I could tell them apart...and they WILL get hair, I know. Emma looks so cute in her glasses...and I'm so glad she is keeping them on. They will become just another part of dressing soon..like shoes and socks. You and Pat should stand tall and proud..you've done a wonderful job and I am sure it wasn't easy at times..Congratulations. Vonnie

Rachael said...

I know the feeling!

Ginger Wilson said...

What adorable pictures! They are going to be the best of friends!

When I read your post, I immediately thought of the saying, "Don't tell God how big your mountain is, tell the mountain how big your God is!"

Isn't it amazing to think how many lives have been touched by you, Pat and your two sweet girls? When I think of how many people prayed for them, it makes me feel so good!

Audrey said...

Adorable pictures!